Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMZ AND SNIFFER

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmeg1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
IT
Hi, I have one domino server in my dmz connected to my firewall (hardware) by a Nortel Baystack 450 switch.
The switch is without ip address for security reason.
I would like to create a second vlan separate from the first one and to use this ports to sniff the internet connection using the mirror function.
In details I created a second vlan separate from the first (the first 12 ports are in the 1 vlan (DMZ) - all untagged and unfiltered and I put on it the dmz firewall and the smtp server). The ports from 13 to 24 are in the second vlan. All untagged and unfiltered.
In this vlan I attached the connection to the internet router on port 19, the connection to the firewall on port 21 and one sniffer lan card on port 23. I activated also the mirroring on both directions with mirror port: 23 and port to be mirrored (X): 21.
Before of this change I used a stupid hub to have the mirror of the internet connection.
The problem is the following: when I attach the cables, internet from the inside of my office works, i.e. every client of my company can go outside, but the dmz domino server attached on vlan 1 stops to ping internet addresses, like as it cannot find a way to go outside.
This is strange, and I don't know what test I can do to solve the problem.
Can someone help me?
I will appreciate your answer.

Gianluigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back