Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMZ and PC security

Status
Not open for further replies.

123ASP

MIS
Nov 2, 2002
US
hi

I have fast internet provider, Cox roadrunner + PC at home + a wirless router. I want to be able to set up my PC to do the following:
1. Allow Public to access my web page in my PC
2. Allow some people to access my ftp server in my PC
3. Allow one or two people to use remote Desktop Connection from window xp to access my PC.

I am not familiar with router set up but I asked and was told that if I enable DMZ in my router,it will disable the router firewall and make my Pc exposed to the internet which make my PC with an OPEN GATE for Hackers.

On the other hand, I disabled DMZ but opened port 80 for the web page and port 21 for the ftp. I was able to access the ftp, but was not able to view the web pages or even use the romote desktop connection untill I enabled the DMZ.

I would appreciate your help in setting my PC so I can be able to do all 3 lists above at the same time secure my PC from Hackers.
thanks
Al

3. Allow one or two people to use remote Desktop Connection from window xp to access my PC.
Check out Tight VNC Don't know enough about the router to help, but let me know how it works out. I have a similar setup and would love to try this out.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back