Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMX not over twisted pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heath Robinson

Systems Engineer
Aug 7, 2023
SE
Hi! I have a room where I would like to send a DMX signal from a rack location to another part of the room, unfortunately it seems installing a CAT6 cable and using twisted pair (or installing any new cable at all) is not an option.

I have only existing cables which can be used, and those existing cables happen to be HDMI cables and have a mass of cores inside (I cut an end off). Mostly stranded, some mini co-axial, but certainly no twisted pair.

Now DMX is like RS-485, it is a differential signal and I although it is tolerant of interference I am concerned it may pick up glitches over the 30m/80 feet cable run. Also that the digital signal will radiate interference badly when sent over regular parallel stranded cores and not a twisted pair. What I really want is a neat idea for some kind of signal converters I can add at each end to convert to a more interference tolerant, less radiant type signal. But that is kind of where my knowledge runs out. I don´t know if what I am imagining as a solution to my problem does exist, or if it´s a pipe dream.

I´m aware the real answer is "install some CAT cable, or some other twisted pair", it´s just that no cable route exists.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back