Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dmoz.org question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanT07

Programmer
May 11, 2005
GB
Not sure this is the correct forum for this but it seems to be the closest i can find.

Anyway I was just wondering something about dmoz. I submitted my site and within 2 weeks it was listed in the category. Then a couple of weeks later an editor revisited the site with the referrer:

Now the site is not in the list and the whole list has been reduced to about half its original size. Does this mean all those sites have been dropped from the list? The weird think is if i search for my site on dmoz it still comes up with a result and says its in the category it used to be in. However when you click on the category the site isnt in the list.

Any thoughts on this would help
Thanks
Dan

It's probably been moved in a restructuring exercise.

It takes 3 to 4 weeks for the public side to fully catch up with the edit side apparently, and the search "feature" doesn't always work as expected.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Ah so you think its been moved to another category possibly?

And if so youre saying it might take a few weeks for the changes to show?

Dan

Which site? Which category?

[tt]editcat.cgi?chainsaw=1[/tt] is an editing tool that allows editors to edit/move/delete multiple sites at once. The fact that you're getting it as a referred implies that an editor viewed your page from the chainsaw tool before going back and doing something with it.

The public site usually keeps right up-to-date with the back end. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to come through, I've never heard of it taking weeks. Clearly the dmoz search facility is laggging behind, I don't know much about that. What definitely lags behind are the other directories built on Dmoz data, such as the Google Directory. They have to request a file to refresh their copies of the directory, which they may do infrequently (or not at all).

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back