Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMI Hang on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronney

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
Operating system: Win 98
mother board: Soyo dragon lite
processor: AMD 2000xp
512mb DDR PC2100
300w power supply
1 30gig maxtor drives
Sony CD writer
agp video card
network card

Built this system and loaded win 98 with no problems. booted several times with no problems. Then upon a reboot it hung at "Verifying DMI Pool Data Successful " Every DMI problem I read about talks about hanging before it says "sucessful". I can access the bios setup. But I can not boot to a floppy to flash the bios. I have followed the motherboard directions for clearing the bios, but that does not help. Could it be the memory? CPU? Please help. I have lost a lot of sleep over this one.

It is probably hardware related, remove all cards except video and disconnect all drives, try it then. Naturally without a HDD it will not boot to an OS but you should get a message saying "no boot disk" or something similar. If it works replace components one by one until you strike the fault. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

I understand that you had win98 loaded and running fine with this configuration before, but the fact that you have 512MB RAM and Win98 is disturbing. If you had brought it to me to repair, less RAM is the FIRST thing I would try. Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

ronney,

did you solve this problem, because i have the same problem at the moment.

If you did, how did you do it.

thanks

Jim

Thanks for the help. It ended up being a bad motherboard. Fortunately I had another system I could test with. So I took out every component and tested it on the other system. All tested good. I replaced the board and it works fine now. I have pretty good luck with Soyo boards, but I guess a bad board gets out sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back