Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT895 Library and Legato6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditech

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
I have tried everything and it just seems that the access time to the library is slow. Legato even gets confused shows a tape in the drive even when there isn't one. It is a 96tape library with 4 drives. Has anyone had any luck with improving performance with a set up similar to this running windows2000?

Thanks

ditech,

Did you define your tape library using the jbconfig command or did you let NW autodetect your lib? Have you used this configuration on a server other than 2000 and had similiar poor performance? Please advise your exact hardware: OS: Lib: DLT8k drives? Drive Interface: SCSI cards: There's a bunch of settings that can be adjusted for library access times? There are also library parallelism settings to control how many things your lib can do at the same time. We have 3 different libraries here using LTO/DLT4/DLT7 on NT4/SUNOS/2000 all the libs have different settings. Let me know and I'll try to assist.

- Larry

I am running Win2000 server on a Compaq DL380 and let Networker autodetect the TL895 Compaq Library. This unit has 4 drives and can hold 96 tapes. Max parallelism is set to 16.

We use the DL380R as our backup server also. So I assume this library has dlt8k drives? What SCSI Controllers are you using? and do you have the latest drivers? What part of the lib is slow access meaning the time it takes to deposit/withdraw or mount/unmount or do you mean access seek data on the tapes. To what device are you comparing this to, to know that it is slow?

Also, make sure that the Model of the library is "Digital TL810 Series" and not "Standard SCSI Jukebox". I have noticed that the autodetect will sometimes assign the model to standard. If so, you will need to recreate the library or hack the nsrjb.res with wordpad to change the library Model.

I usually use the inquire command to determine the control port for the Autochanger and then use option 4 in jbconfig and select "Digital TL810 Series".

Good Luck :p

One thing to check is the RSM. Make sure it is up and running but disable the Robotic arm in the RSM. It can be hassle to get ther and you might have to mess wit the registry key (HKEY_LocalMachine_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_Ntmssvc_config) by changin Autodetect to 1 and restart the service and the disable it.

Also verify that you have the latest drivers and as Almow suggest: Run Inquire or Inquire -l to check what hardware NetWorker think it is and then recreate the robot with jbconfig.

Thanks for all the advice. I am currently going through all the suggestions and will post any results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back