Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT vs SuperDLT logo, or just a bad tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmcl7

Technical User
Nov 2, 2005
GB
Hey folks, I'd be really grateful if someone could offer some advice as I'm stuck.

I used to work with as a three person systems team, the company went bust and I'm now re-employed in the same building on my own. For backing up I use an Overland Powerloader which uses two SDLT320 tape drives.

The problem is I needed to buy new tapes, so I ordered more using the MR-SAMCL-01 order number, however I've tried one of the new tapes and backupexec just sticks on loading media, reporting the alert that media needs to be loaded. I loaded an existing tape to see if it worked, and it did so without any problem. Both old and new are Quantum.

So I looked at the new tape and noticed it has the DLT logo on it but there's no 'super', it looks like this:

Whereas the existing tapes have a logo that looks like this:

The boxes also match, the new tapes have a normal DLT logo whereas the older tapes have the Super DLT logo.

So what is the difference between the two logos? On much older DLT tapes, the logo is just DLT but those tapes are brown, these new ones are dark green., matching the other SDLT tapes.

Is this a duff tape or what is going on? I don't want to open up any more tapes in the batch as I won't be able to return them if they are the wrong tapes.

Thanks,
John

Dark Green = SDLT I (110/220/320)
Brown = DLT IV (40/80) at least...

It's a little while since I posted this, didn't ever expect a reply ;)

In the end it turned out just to be a bad tape, the other three worked fine as have others since - still no idea why the newer ones don't have the superdlt logos though!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back