Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT-S4 tape parameters for UFSDUMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamLundrigan

Programmer
Mar 19, 2009
CA
I am trying to span a very large (~4TB) partition over DLT-S4 tapes using a PX502 tape library connected to a Solaris 10 Update 4 (x86) host, which is also connected to the iSCSI SAN in question. The SAN partition uses the ufs file system, so I am attempting to do this using ufsdump.

The problem is that ufsdump will detect the end of media, but not in a way that allows me to change tapes (ie: it overwrites the end of the media, then complains, asking if the dump should be aborted).

ufsdump can span multiple tapes, but you must provide the tape parameters (number of tracks, bits per inch, length of tape) to ufsdump. I've tried this on a smaller partition, which should fit on a single tape, using information I gleaned from various sources:

ufsdump -0udstbf 256000 2095 1280 512 /dev/rmt/0cn /tmp/homes

Where 256000 is the density (256k bits per inch), 2095 is the approximate tape length (2095 feet), and 1280 is the number of tracks on the tape. ufsdump ingests these parameters, then claims that the 400GB partition would require 2703.64 DLT-S4 tapes to back up....so, obvously, something is orders of magnitude out of whack with the parameters I chose.

Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back