Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT drive Media pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
ZA
Hi,
I installed my DLT tape drive some time ago, I tried one backup using NTBackup, and it worked fine. It created a media pool "Backup" in the "Unrecognised" part of the Removable Storage Manager. But recently, when I try to backup anything it fails with,
"catastrophic failure"
What could be the problem here, what do I need to re-install? Also when I do a backup it does not create a new media pool, but tries to overwrite the previously created pool, and then fails, because it cannot mount it.
What do I need to do, to be able to start fresh,, with no media pools. I come from a unix background where backing up is as simple as &quot;tar cvf /dev/mnt0 <file_name>&quot;. I have no experience using backup software, and as a result I'm having some difficulty trying to understand how these media pools work. Can someone please explain, how and where a media pool needs to be created, in a way that ntbackup will do a daily backup to it, not overwriting but either appending or creating a new media pool each day for my daily backup.

DELL PowerEdge 2500 with 110T DLT1 Benchmark DLT drive. W2K server. This is an external device.

What I would like to be able to do, is create a job and have the windows scheduler run this every night as a dialy backup. Can someone take me through this.

Thanks
Wesley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back