Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT 8000 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampyreUK

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
I have a DLT 8000 (40/80 GB) which does some peculiar things.

When I switch it on with a tape in it I get an a light display or "error-message" (up to 8 double-flash lights of all indicators down the left-hand side of the unit after which the unit returns to normal function) however the interesting thing is that this ONLY ever occurs when a tape is write-protected (indeed ALWAYS when the tape is write-protected). The behaviour is identical regardless of whether the tapes are Win2K/NT or Legato backup format and regardless of whether they are being tested independently or attached to a server.

I acquired a second DLT 8000 drive and tested that.

The "error message" occurs on both units only when tapes are write-protected and never when I they are not. There are no other signs of error on either unit and both drives, whilst second-user, were replaced due to upgrade to Super DLT not because of head wear.

Additionally I have performed a small backup sets on tapes that apparently caused the error after allowing them to load write-protected (generating the "error message") and unlocking the write-protect tab. No issues were encountered.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back