Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLT 4000 not accepting used tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

klimshelf

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
US
I have a new DLT 4000 that I use only for writing DVD master files to send to replicators. I recently purchased 10 used Type IV tapes of various brands (Sony, HP, Fuji, Quantum) and not one of them will work in my DLT 4000. The drive works perfectly with new Type IV tapes.

When using Danz Retrospect to check the media it runs through the operation and always ends by stopping the tape, never saying it is ready to use. Retrospect will not write or copy to the tapes.

My DVD authoring program(Sony DVD Architect)recognizes the drive and gets to the point of "Checking for data on the tape" and then hangs there for hours.

I read in a Quantum FAQ that tapes formated in a 7000 machine will not work in a 4000 unless they are put back in a 7000 and formatted again to use in a 4000. I don't know if this is the problem as the former owner of the tapes doesn't know what machine they were last used in. Besides, I have no access to a 7000 and am limited to the two software I mentioned earlier, neither of which will format DLT (that I know of).

How do you suggest I go about troubleshooting these used tapes and what would I do to ultimately make them work in my DLT 4000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back