Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLPAR operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

letis

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
FR
hello,

I've got a few questions about the way DLPAR work, and unfortunately the various redbooks and whitepapers found are not very explicit, let me explain.

I assume that for a DLPAR operation to work, you need a public network connection between the HMC and the managed partition.

First question : how does the HMC discover the IP of the partition ? in my situation, I haven't any DNS on the netowrk, and "use DNS" box is unchecked on the HMC. Besides the name of the partitions in the HMC are not the network names of the systems. However, the lspartition command list the partitions with some (good) IP adress.

The problem I encounter is in fact the DLPAR doesn't work because for some reasons, the HMC thinks the managed system has no RSCT service running (which is not the case). The lspartition command shows that the HMC has wrong information about the managed partition (the flag telling the partition supports DLPAR operations is not correctly set).

So how to force the HMC to "redicover" the managed partition ??

thanks in advance,

I think HMC is the DHCP server for a managed system.

You can login managed system's ASMI and see in network configuration that DHCP is by default (you can specify static IPs if you need)

The other method to access ASMI is to connect a PC/Laptop to not configured/free HMC port and check what IP is set on the other - connected to HMC (on my machine there are 2 HMC1 and HMC2 - I am using both - one goes to one HMC1 and the other to HMC2 - kind of backup - I can't perform changes on LPARs on both HMCs at the same time)

If you don't know what the IP is set by DHCP on managed system, then you can login managed system using text console and check the address.

When you obtain the IP of you managed node you can add it on you HMC by hand (add managed system) not waiting for discovering it by HMC.

related links:

Another super way for determining IP address of HMC1 and HMC2 I found on this site:

There is written:

How do determine SFP IP adress
If the default IPs above are not accessible and you do not have access to any DHCPd logs which may have provided an adress you can use following procedure to determine the adress through 3 white buttons at the operation panel below the led:

Select function 02
Change "N" to "M" (for manual)
Select function 30
Change "**" to "00" and press Enter
See the adress of HMC1 at "00" and HMC2 at "01"
Select function 02
Change "M" back to "N"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back