Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dlookup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnj

Programmer
Jun 20, 2003
US
I have a data entry form that I want to populate the age field automatically when the (field) last name(after update event) is entered ( previously in table).

I have used this dlookup:
DLookup("age", "general info", "[Age] = '" & Me.Age).

This bombs. I have tried some many variations I've lost count. I had some code that populated the field but with the wrong age. Ive been unable to replicate it. I have used brackets, not used them. All the same result.

Table: general info
field to fill: age

It seems the 3rd part of the dlookup is the problem.

Any Suggestions or solutions greatly appreciated.

Thx John

How are ya jonnj . . .

Assuming age is numeric ... drop the single quote:
Code:
[blue]DLookup("age", "general info", "[Age] = [COLOR=red yellow]'[/color]" & Me.Age)[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see faq219-2884 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

I agree with Duane... you are looking up an age based on an age you already have. The only reason I can think of for doing this would be to check for duplicates.

Maybe you want:

Code:
DLookup("age", "general info", "Last Name = '" & Me.LastName & "'")

And... do you really have spaces in your table names? 'General Info' (with a space) can cause you headaches later.

I think Gammachaser has just intentionally demonstrated the inappropriateness of spaces since the expression he used wouldn't work because of a space.

I'll leave it to the readers to find and/or correct the ill-advised name.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Gammachaser, your solution work perfectly.
Thanks very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back