Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLookup Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovuco

ISP
Oct 30, 2001
US
Can anyone solve my mystery? I can't figure out why the "parts" and "price" field aren't being filled in when I enter in the parts#.

Here are the two tables involved:
Parts_List - contains the lookup info; PartsNo, Parts, Price.

tblParts - holds the information pulled from the Parts_lIst table. This contains the fields; Parts#, Parts, Price.

This is my OnChange Event Procedure for the "Parts#" field of my "tblParts subform":

Private Sub Parts_Change()
Dim varPrice, varParts As Variant
varPrice = DLookup("Price", "Parts_List", "Parts# =[PartsNo]")
varParts = DLookup("Parts", "Parts_List", "Parts# =[PartsNo]")
If (Not IsNull(varPrice)) Then Me![Price] = varPrice
If (Not IsNull(varParts)) Then Me![Parts] = varParts
End Sub

My Row Source Type is a table/query, and the Row Source is the "Parts_List" table, which is where I hold the list of PartsNo, Parts, and Price.

The control source (for the PartsNo selection from the Parts_List table) is "Parts#".

I hope that makes sense and someone can save me from staring at this for another hour.

jo

First, you have to concatenate the value [PartsNo] into the string like this:

varPrice = DLookup("Price", "Parts_List", "Parts# =" &[PartsNo])

Another thing that jumps out at me immediately is the # sign in your field name. Because you have that, you need to put all references to the field in brackets [], i.e.

varPrice = DLookup("Price", "Parts_List", "[Parts#] =" &[PartsNo])

You should try to avoid putting the # sign in field names because it is a special character in Access used to denote a date.

Next, is the field [parts#] a text or number field? If it is a text field, you need single quotes around your value, i.e.

varPrice = DLookup("Price", "Parts_List", "[Parts#] =' " &[PartsNo] & " ' ")

Do a search in the help menu on dlookup and look at the examples for more guidance.

Mike Rohde
"I don't have a god complex, god has a me complex!"

Thanks. I tried all your suggestions, and renamed the "Parts#" name to "PartsNum" but still no go.

I am already using the DLookup in another database, so I know the general set up of the statement is correct, but still no go.

Is there anything else I'm overlooking. I have a feeling it's something very basic or easy to fix.

jo

I have a question either of you could probably answer as you seem to know this function fairly well. I have the dlookup returning correct values, but repeated many times over for each record in the query - ie: returns {"RECORD1" "BRWN TPSL" }
{"RECORD1" "BRWN TPSL" }
{"RECORD1" "BRWN TPSL" } etc then starts the second record.

jovuco, If you want, you can e-mail the database to me and I'll look at it, if you have/can get it into Access 97 format.

programmer@marshallengines.com

jregier, I'm not really sure what your question is.
Mike Rohde
"I don't have a god complex, god has a me complex!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back