Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dlookup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirnavi

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
US
I am creating a database. There are two main tables - Table 1 (customer information) is created via a Make Table query, which pulls from an Oracle db, which is the db for our department's customer service system. Because Table 1 has to be manually refreshed, it may lag behind or be ahead of Table 2. Table 2 (order information) is populated via a form. The two tables share a Customer ID. Up until I created this db, the users were entering their order information into an Excel sheet, which I imported to create Table 2. For this example, let's say each customer will only ever have one order so there will be a record to record match.

Here's my problem:
I want the user to see the customer's name when he/she types in the Customer ID. I got the DLookup to work for NEW records - that is, for records that exist in Table 1 but have not yet been entered into Table 2 - but it will NOT work for the 300+ records that I imported from Excel. For those records, the Name textbox remains blank when I browse through the records or if I type in the Customer ID, gives me an error about entering duplicate values.

Furthermore, if Table 1 (customer info) is lagging behind Table 2 (order info), I want the user to just go ahead and enter all the order information and when he/she goes back to update the order at a later date (after Table 1 has been refreshed), the name to just pop up.

Can anyone help or offer any thoughts?
Thanks.

Why not have Table 1 linked to an Oracle view showing always accurate customer informations ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back