Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLookUp calculated control problem ONLY on other pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazcat

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
US
Putting this one out there in the hopes someone can help. I've been through forums and faqs, msdn and microsoft support, all to no avail. Bare with me as I explain what's up.

I am developing this db in Access 2003, but with default file format set to 2000. My users (mostly) are on 2000. This issue came up during UAT, that not everyone was getting the correct performance out of a calculated control that uses a DLookUp function.

Of course, the bloody thing works ~perfectly~ on my machine.

Here are the set up particulars:

While creating a new request, a user selects a value from the drop-down combo box (bound control). This updates the display data in an (unbound) text box, which instructs the users what back up documentation they are required to provide with each request.

Object details:
Code:
Form: frmRequest, bound to table tbl_Request

Textbox ControlName: txtALD
ControlSource:
=DLookUp("[ALDDocumentation]","vtbl_LndrTyp","[Assgn#]=vtbl_LndrTyp![Assng#]")

Combobox ControlName: cboAss#
ControlSource: [Assgn#]
RowSource:
SELECT vtbl_LndrTyp.[Assng#], vtbl_LndrTyp.Abbreviation, vtbl_LndrTyp.ClassificationName FROM vtbl_LndrTyp ORDER BY vtbl_LndrTyp.ClassificationName; 

ColumnCount: 3
BoundColumn: 1
ColumnWidths: 0";0";3"

This allows me to display [ClassificationName] in cboAss#, while storing the value from [Assng#] to the tbl_Request field [Assgn#]. Assgn#/Assng# are both numeric (yes, I am aware of the misspelling - it helps me keep the field names clear as I work). The unbound text box then displays the correct values, e.g.:

Code:
"Form 5500 AND… 
If defined benefit: Financial Statements. 
If defined contribution: % of plan assets invested in the Company, investment strategy"

Again, this field is unbound so it's not storing anything, but it is used the same way on both the form and the report.

On my machine the text box displays the correct detail. However, the users tell me they are not seeing anything (blank box), or that the values don't update, and only show the first record. I've only seen where it doesn't update on the user's machine (the other users with this problem are in Asia, but the screen shots they've sent do appear to be blank.) I've tried several versions for the Criteria, but no luck.

Does anyone know of 2000 specific issues with DLookUp? Or perhaps of language localization issues for users in Asia, where the application is developed in the US? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

How are ya Tazcat . . .

If you'll notice your [blue]DLookUp doesn't reference the combobox![/blue] So its up to the particular version of access to run unbound calculations when you make a selection from the combo. Apparently this happens in 2003 and not 2000.

To [blue]tie the unbound update directly to the combo selection[/blue], perform the DLookUp in the [blue]AfterUpdate[/blue] of the combo (don't forget to remove the code from the unbound [blue]control source[/blue]):
Code:
[blue]Me![purple][b][i]TextboxName[/i][/b][/purple] = DLookup("[ALDDocumentation]", _
                         "vtbl_LndrTyp", _
                         "[Assgn#]=vtbl_LndrTyp![Assng#]")[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back