Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLookup and updating query/calculated fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

huv123

Technical User
Sep 10, 2005
AU
THis is probably a simple question but I cant seem to get everything coordinated.

I have a form that collects information about participant's in a study including height, weight etc.

I need to automatically calculate BMI once a person has placed the information in to the form so I created a query and used =DLookUp("[BMICalculation]","qryBMICalculation","[ParticipantID]= Form![ParticipantID]") in an unbound field called BMI and then placed Me.Requery in the after update event of the height and weight fields.

The query works beautifully if I try to update existing data but I get a error re:
Me.Requery when I am adding new participant details because all the fields in the form are set as required and it sets off some error.

How do I make sure that all changes are updated but can still add in new records?

I tried If is not null 9ParticipantHeight) then Me.Requery in the after update event of Participant weight and vice versa but this didnt work either - it works well when updating records but not when adding new data - it sets off the error.

Basically I :

1. Just want to calculate a person's BMI straight away (without having to close and reopen) using fields in the same form - don't care is by dlookup or not
2. Have this updated if I ever change anything in these fields in the form.
3. I cant assume that the person entering the data will do weight first or vice versa and that once they enter the data they will not try to change it.

Something like IIF(ISERROR(WeightControl/HeightControl^2),"",WeightControl/HeightControl^2) Would do it wouldn't it? I imagine the form should recalculate when ever the user tabs off a control but if not force it with Recalc rather than Requery

I wouldn't store the value. Set the control source of the text box to:
=IIf(IsNull([txtHeight]+[txtWeight],Null, (txtWeight*703)/(txtHeight^2))

Your IIf() should always return the same data type (or Null) for both the true and false arguments.

Duane MS Access MVP

Thanks Ill give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back