Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLLs in System32\TAPI32 -- What are they and how do I fix it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooner8

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
I keep getting the same error message: "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TAPI32.dll is not a valid Windows image...". It happens when I open Norton, SpySweeper, Task Manager, etc. What does it mean (yes, I know DLL means Dynamic Link Library) and how do I fix it? I'm getting the 2005 Norton SystemWorks in the mail, so I hope that will help.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If the above can't load because of similar errors try replacing the corrupted file using the Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Use the Copy command (Recovery Console) to copy TAPI32.dll it maybe shown as TAPI32.dl_ on the CD but will be copied (expanded) to become TAPI32.dll.

I don't know what that was, but when I ran the command "Sfc /Scannow", it must have fixed it because I no longer get the error messages. I didn't even have to put in my XP disk.

What was that? What was going on? I've been troubleshooting that for about a week. Nobody had a clue.

I don't know why either. Unless you have setup SFC to use files on the hard drive it should check the original source files from your CD. Do you have a CD or Recovery Partition?

The System File Checker will have left a log of what it did in -

Event Viewer (System).
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection

Description of the Windows System File Checker Tool (Q310747)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back