Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dll files and non local files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killa

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
US
Does anyone have an idea what is happening here

I have created an iss application which to function accesses files stored on another computer.

When I run the application in the VB ide the program functions normally.

When the application is compiled and run using the asp and dll, the application does not seem to be able to see or access any files that are local to that machine.

I have tried coding it with UNC addresses, full UNC addresses and even mapped drive all of which return the same PATH/FILE ACCESS ERROR 75

anybody have any Ideas

This is an NT permission issue. I have seen this happen before. IIS runs under an account called IUSR_servername. This account has no network permissions to access other drives. There are a couple of work arounds:
1) Assign some (as few as possible since it is a potential security breach) rights to the IUSR_servername account.
2) Log in to the server as some user with network permissions (use this method for shared drives). This way, potential hacks to IIS cannot hijack your network (like method 1 could potentially do - if you give it too much permission).

This was my initial thought also BUT I can access the files if I sigh on to windows NT as the IUSR_servername.

I can simply browse to them over the network

Mapping a drive has not helped it was one of my first attempts at finding a solution

If you have any other ideas I'm all ears

Thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back