Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dlink Wireless G Router model WBR-1310 Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgehring

Technical User
Jan 24, 2007
US
The Situation:
I want to connect my PC (Windows XP, currently has a WDSL internet connection going into it) to another (Windows 98, runs the same internet connection through my computer through a direct LAN to LAN connection) using my new Dlink Wireless G Router model WBR-1310. My reason for this is the Wireless Access Point Capabilities for a Nintendo Wii.

The Problem:
When I connect the router to my computer through the WAN port and to the other through the router, the other computer says that the Internet Gateway is connected, but I cannot access the internet from that computer. The router does not affect my computer at all. Also, because I am connected to my ISP using a Wireless Internet Connection via a cable modem and a wireless antenna to the access point, I am unable to install the programs on the disc that was provided with my Dlink router.

I would appreciate any help that is offered.

The WAN connection should be your connection from your high speed (ie: internet connection, rogers, bell, etc). Your computers would then connect into the LAN ports on the router. The LAN ports are usually 4 ports side by side which will then allow you to connect your home computers. For the router, you should be able to setup the WAN configuration on the router for DHCP in order to get an IP address from your Internet provider.

Michael

WarpZero Technologies

First off, I would like to say that I appreciate the feedback. Now, that isn't the case. My internet connection comes straight to my computer from the antenna (the way my ISP sets all their WDSL connection up), so instead of an External Cable/DSL modem, I have an internal component. I was hoping for a solution that bypasses the program on the disc that came with my Router in order to make the internet available to the other PC and Wi-Fi capable devices through my router.

Current Setup (In order):
ISP Access Point - Outside Antenna mounted on the roof of my home - Cable - My PC - LAN Cable - Other PC
This setup works, but I would like to enable my Wi-Fi devices to have access to the internet.

Desired Setup (In order):
ISP Access Point - Outside Antenna mounted on the roof of my home - Cable - My PC - LAN Cable - Wireless Router - LAN Cable - Other PC
This setup does not allow the Wi-Fi devices access to the internet as well as any computer connected through the LAN ports on the router. I cannot simply change the way my ISP has setup my internet connection as this is the cheapest and I cannot afford to purchase an external modem.

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back