Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLink Router > Dlink Wireless Router > USB wireless ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkySober

Technical User
Feb 6, 2004
US
I have a building I am trying to set up. On the 2nd floor I have a
1) Cable Modem > (wan)DLink regular Router(port1) > Dlink Switcher > 5-25 Wired PC.
(port2) > Dlink Wireless Router.

With the wireless router connected, I am sometimes getting an IP conflict showing on the wired computers. I need to find how to resolve this. I can connect to 192.168.0.1 on the Wired PC's and reach the regular Router just fine.

When I try to connect using USB wireless adapter at about 80' away through two brick walls, I get a signal of 8-15% data stream 100%. Yet it WILL connect to the Internet/Intranet when like 2 feet away and I can connect to that wireless router at 192.168.0.1

Yes, I am totally new to wireless networking... Please feel free to even email me directly at SkySober@hotmail.com (it pages my phone to let me know I have an e-mail).

Note: I do NOT want nor worry about password or encrypting. I want it to be an open access. The owner is not concerned about anyone hacking into it, as all of the users are college tennants to begin with and we are paying for up to 255 users already to provide it to the 41 tennants in the surrounding buildings free of charge to begin with.

Please if anyone knows how to set this up, I am desperate for assistance and thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back