Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLG380 HD Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkwtfid

MIS
Nov 24, 2008
US
We currently have an HP DLG380 server that has 2 72gb hard drives. We are in need for more storage and we purchased 2 150gb hard drives.

1. Am I better off replacing the existing hard drives or adding these to the empty slots?

2. Has anyone done this before and give me some tips on how to do either solution?

Thanks.

What version of DL380 do you have and what array controller are you using? Also, what OS are you running on it? Windows is pretty easy to do.

If your controller supports it, I'd add the 2 new drives and mirror them to the originals. It will only use 72GB on the new drives. Then split the mirror (after it has synchronized), pull the original drives (save for DR in case something would go wrong/fail), expand the array and extend the volume to utilize the rest of the space on the new drives.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I am a total newbie with servers. Where do I find the version of the server and array controller type as well. We are running MS Server 2003 Standard Edition.

When you add the two new hard drives do I need to power off the server or is this something that can be done on the fly?

It should be on the front of the server (DL380 G?).

If you've installed the Proliant Support Pack (PSP) you should be able to run the array configuration utility (ACU) off the programs menu. Select Maintain Server button, then Configure Array button and you should be able to see what you have for an array controller on the right-hand side (That's from memory, so I could be mistaken on the buttons).

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back