Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL585 G1 - SmartStart won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezlo

Technical User
Jan 7, 2006
US
I'm working on a reconditioned Proliant DL585 G1 server and am trying to reload Server 2008 x64. However, when I try to run SmartStart 8.0.0 x64 from either CD or USB Key it keeps saying "SmartStart has failed to load resource files in a timely manner".

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to load Windows without using SmartStart but will if I have to.

Mez

What about 2003, with Smart Start 8.0? If not, then try Smart Start 7.9 with 2003---not to load it, but to see if it will let you. Sometimes (I have seen it with firmware updates), a new HP Smart Start or FW Update can be buggy...

Burt

There is a stong possibility you may need to go back to an earlier version of Smartstart. Probably prior to ver 7.0. Once the operating system has been installed you can update the HP drivers to the latest either from a Smartstart 8.0 CD or the internet. You may also have to install an earlier version of Windows Server, then upgrade to Windows Server 2008. This does as always mean that there are may potential problems in doing this!! Consult the Microsoft web site for the best way to upgrade.

As long as 2008 is one of the options in 8.0 (I am not sure myself, but I will look later), then he should not have this problem...

Burt

The SmartStart CD wouldn't even get to the point where I could choose an OS. The error would occur while SmartStart itself was still loading.

Anyway, I ended up installing straight from the Windows Server 2008 CD then installing PSP 8.10 which cleared up device manager.

Mez

Strange...I used Smart Start 8.0 for a DL580 G5, DL585 G1 and G2, as well as DL 360's and 365's, G3-G5, and same with DL380 G3-G5's.
I am actually having a problem installing an OS on a DL145 G3 with 3 1/2" SAS Hot Plug drives, with the SAS backplane and an LSI SAS1068 PCI RAID controller. The drives are 146GB SAS single port (also have double port drives). The thing cannot recognize drives on a Red Hat or Windows install, though the volume and RAID controller show up in the boot order options in BIOS. I have a USB CDROM drive, which works fine. I was able to fully install Knoppix 5.0, and all hardware seems to be working, including the onboard ethernet controller...Smart Start is not supported on DL145's...why is beyond me, but I think that really sucks!

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back