Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL385 G2 Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

2007AD

Technical User
Mar 22, 2007
US
I am trying to use an ATI Radeon 1300 Pro in a DL385 G2.
The board works in a Tyan server with Win2003 OS. In the HP no video comes out of the Radeon card. Viewing through the onboard video, the bios shows it is recognized and that it has resources allocated to it. In Win2003 the board shows up in the hardware list, but has a warning that there are not enough resources available for the Radeon video card. I tried to disable as many things in the bios and in Win2003 to free up some resorces, but the Radeon video card still gives me the same error. I have monitors connected to both onboard and Radeon card at startup, but the Radeon will not show anything. With a monitor only connected to the Radeon nothing shows up. I talk to HP tech support and they said they do not support it. It seems to me it is a BIOS issue. Any help would be appreciated.

I would venture to guess it has something to do with the iLO (integrated Lights-Out), which runs through the video output. I think there may be a bios setting (IRQ) for the iLO, but I haven't played around with it to be sure.

I have disabled the iLO, but it did not change anything.

It could be because the ATI Radeon 1300 Pro is a PCI Express card and the slots in a DL385 G2 are PCI-X (which is not the same).

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Just checked the Tyan website and their motherboards come with PCI-Express slots on them so that is why the card worked in your Tyan server.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

I have installed the optional HP PCIe x16 video expansion slot for the DL385 G2. The BIOS recognizes it as a valid HP option for this unit.

Do you have any PCI-X slots available? If so, maybe you could try a cheapo video card in one of those slots. I'm guessing that you have a PCI-E array controller already installed. There may be a conflict between that and your video card.

No PCIx slots. I will need to purchase a PCIx expansion option. I tried changing all the interupts so that no one else was using the one I set for the Video card, but it did not help. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I feel it is a A09 BIOS problem and can only hope that HP will try to correct it someday.

Yeah, I feel your pain. We also have a DL385 G2 that is having issues. HP is looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back