Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL380

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmv

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a server upon boot-up it says:

Integrated Smart Array Controller
Slot 0 Array Controller failure
Self test failure (Err-Rom CHKSUM)

If I replace the controller will the hard drives come back? Or does this fry the hard drives as well?

Thanks in advance.

Not usually, in my eperience when a RAID controller fails the disks are usually ok.

btw, is this not a built in controller as it says Integrated? If so, you'll probably have to replace the Motherboard as it will be integrated with that rather than on a PCI card

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Yes, it's the integrated one so I unfortunetly had to order the motherboard to be replaced. I was just wondering if I need to rebuild once it gets replaced or would the hard drives work? Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Usually the disks contain a "copy" of the RAID setup so in theory when the motherboard is replaced, the information should get downloaded from the disks back onto the new controller.

The only issue you may have to check on is whether the chipset on the new motherboard is the same as the existing motherboard otherwise you may have driver issues with your OS. There is no reason why it should not be the same, but it would just depend on whether HP have released an upgraded motherboard for the DL380 or not...

"It's true, its damn true!"

We just had to have our motherboard replaced (new server in Jun/05) due to a problem with the integrated NIC. Our server is under a 3 yr warranty so an HP tech did the replacement. He told us that he had updated everything to current after swapping the mobo but that wasn't exactly right. He updated to the latest CD he had but we then had to do the following:

1. Download the latest ROMPaq from HP's web and update
the system ROM,

2. Update the firmware for the Network controller from the HP web site, and;

3. Update the System ROMPaq Firmware to the latest unavailable from the HP web site.

Also, if you're already down then this for future reference as you won't be able to do it now. Whenever we have to do ANY work on one of our servers, no matter how minor, we use drivesnapshot ( to snapshot our server before the work begins. It snapshots and verifies 10 GB in under 40 minutes and compresses the data to 4.67 GB. A SNAPSHOT Server License Email Version is EUR 89.-. It was some of the best money we ever spent.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back