Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL380 integrated smart array VS SA 221

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinger32

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2005
SE
What kind of array controller are the integrated smart array contoller in DL380??? is it better to use a Smart 221 controller card or is it equal the integrated one?

DL380 has a Smart 5i, Smart 5i+ or Smart 6i depending on which generation you are talking about.

Can't remember which PCI sockets the G1 and G2 supported but a 221 will not go in a G3 or G4. It's a pretty slow array controller as well which doesn't have a great deal of RAM.

Use the internal array controller but get the battery backed write cache module for it to speed things up.

Also drives 0 and 1 cannot be run from any controller except the internal one.

If you want to run two separate physical rather than logical arrays for the internal drives you can do, e.g. 0+1 off the 5i and 2-5 off another RAID controller. I would recommend the SA641 for that, the SA532 is cheaper but is pretty crap because it doesn't have a lot of cache ram and has no battery backup.

Neill

I think I have an earlier version of integrated smart array controller than 5i or 6i its an DL380ro1 not any G

Ah yes, you are right. It has an ISA or Integrated Smart Controller, if the module has been installed.

ISA has 8Mb read only cache compared to 6Mb on SA221. It also supports array expansion and RAID conversion, according to my training docs.

ISA is still a better bet if it is already installed on the system. If it isn't then get best you can afford. Must say I've never seen the ISA module on eBay etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back