Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL380 G1 Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendallbarrett

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2008
Hi there, I am new to the forum and have been reading around lately about my newly acquired Compaq DL380 G1. I have the Smartstart CD 5.5 version. I can not get the machine to boot the CD. I know its good its a retail version not a burned .iso. I also believe my drive array controller to be bad. (the DIMM looking stick to the left of the board) When I boot the machine it finds the array just fine and I can configure the drives with F10 but if I use the array disk I found on compaqs website to configure the array it says it cant find it. ANY help at all would be much appreciated. Again G1 with dual 933's and 1024megs of ram. 2 18gig drives all compaq original. THANKS!

I suggest you download the system erase utility or create one from the SmartStart CD - you need a floppy disk. Boot the system from this and run a system erase. Then try to boot from the SmartStart 5.5 CD, if it doesn't work then you need to investigate the hardware - CD connected OK etc?

I still have a DL380 G1, same spec as yours with dual 933's and this boots from CD with no issues.

HTH

Andy

You may have verified this already, but is the CD drive set as boot device prior to the hard drives?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY'S!

Yes I have the erase floppy. Something strange that happens when I use the erase floppy on a side not the utility gives me an error about ACPI?? Anyway, yes I have erased the the machine and tried fresh many 3 times. I can create the system partition with floppies and I have set the CD drive to boot first ie: CD -> A -> C. I am at a loss. System switches on the board maybe??? THANKS AGAIN I am so happy to have some help you have no idea! :)

Those 380 G1 boxes are notorious for the ROC chip going bad, as well as the scsi backplane and the drive cage fan. Just replaced all 3 in one recently, when one RAID5 drive failed, and while it was rebuilding, a second drive failed!
ROC=RAID Onboard Controller.

Burt

Ok checked ebay and got the backplane and ROC I guess we will see what happens next! :) Thanks eveyone!

Small update,all is well. The ROC was indeed bad. Replaced it by ebay for 9$ thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back