Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL320 & Memory Errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have a DL320 G1 (P3 866MHz), it has the SCSI option as opposed to the IDE daughter-card controller and 2 SCSI disks (36.4 & 9.1). It is configured with Windows 2000 Server. Everytime it boots it generates memory errors that are recorded in the Windows System Event log, these are:

'System Information Agent: Health: Correctable or Uncorrectable memory error detected. The memory module should be replaced.
Board or cartridge: '0' Module: '3' Spare part number: '' Module size: '262144' System id: 'CPQ0826'
[SNMP TRAP: 6056 in CPQHLTH.MIB] '

There is one per DIMM (3 at the moment 2*256 & 1*512). They only appear on boot up, never after. I have replaced the memory with other Compaq DIMM's and regardless of how many or which slots are occupied the errors are always generated. Occasionally the server also crashes and reboots with an NMI error:

'The system encountered a Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) prior to this boot. The NMI source was: Uncorrectable memory error, memory module 3. '

I have also put the memory in other Compaq Servers that use the same PC133 CL3 memory and I don't have a problem. The HP/Compaq diagnostics have been run in all servers on the memory and it tests out perfectly every time. CPU has also been replaced once to see if it was this but the issue remains.

I can only assume this is a hardware fault with the Motherboard but I was just testing the water to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar with a DL320 G1.

Thanks

Andy

Certainly sounds like a faulty system board to me if they check out in another server.

Are you saying it errors on any slot number or is it always Slot 3? If it is just slot 3, have you tried leaving that slot unoccupied and do you still have issues?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

It errors on all slots (as long as they are occupied obviously). If I install a single DIMM I get 1 error, if I install 2 DIMM's I get 2 errors etc. It doesn't make any difference whether only slot 1 is occupied or if only slot 4 is occupied (etc).

I have just downloaded the HP/Compaq Server Diagnostics disk and booted the server from it and it tests OK. I am just leaving it on continual diagnostics to see if any errors appear.

This all seems a bit wierd to me as I would have thought the HP/Compaq diagnostics boot disk would have found something?

Andy

After keeping an eye on eBay for a couple of months a DL320 system board came up..... In Canada

Anyway I thought I would give it a go if it wasn't too expensive - won it for $9.95, plus postage to the UK of $20, all in all with the exchange rate it worked out at £16.44!!!!

Just replaced the board and low and behold the boot up memory errors have disappeared from the Windows 2000 Event log. So I can only presume I did in fact have a faulty system board. Its a pain none of the diagnostics showed anything up; neither Compaq/HP boot-disk diagnostics nor the HP Diagnostics for Windows? Wierd?

Andy

Glad you got it fixed. And that I was actually right. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back