Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL320 G6 NEW- Embedded HDD Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlmxn

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2009
US
New Server. Two 146 GB drives. At POST drives flash once and then nothing. Never get the option to press F8 to configure RAID. Have updated ROM and reloaded firmware.

Unable to access Boot Controller Order in BIOS. Screen flashes and then nothing.

Under Advanced Options Raid is enabled.
Under PCI devices Embedded RAID shows up along with the standard SATA controller.

Have case open with support. They say bad system board. Have same EXACT issue with replacement server.

I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Let's start from the beginning.

1. Did you configure the array using the smartstart cd?
2. Did you make sure the firmware/bios are up-to-date? I know it should be, being it's a G6, but I try not to assume anything.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Also, what do you get on POST besides the hard drives flashing? Memory count? Processors recognized? More? Errors?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

In response to your questions.

1.)Smart Start CD detects ZERO controllers. Hence no hard drives detected. Did this out of the box.
2.)BIOS & Firmware updated to most current version. Also downgraded as well but no success.

The POST is fully complete. The drives flash for just a second on power up. Memory, ILO, Ethernet Boot Controller all are listed. No option for F8 or CTRL-A to access raid controller. Unit beeps twice and then says press F9 for RBSU or F10.

Key point here. When I attempt to access the Boot Controller Order that screen just flashes but is never displayed.

HP support failed to get me an onsite tech today. They are now shipping me a system board. At least they say they are but initially all these boards are backordered. Apparently my case has been escalated.

Thanks for your inquiry to help me resolve this!

Just curious, is the controller truly embedded or an add-on board. If it's an add-on board, you could try to re-seat it.

Get HP out

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back