Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL320 G1 and 4GB RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have a G1 DL320 with an 866MHz P3. It currently has 3GB of RAM (3 * 1024MB DIMMs). I have got hold of another 1024MB DIMM and installed it but the server does not boot - the lights come one and the disks start to spin but nothing is output to the screen and the video socket remains in the 'sleep' mode.
I have tried the DIMM in another Server (ML330) and it works fine. I have also removed one of the existing DIMM's in the DL320 and installed this new one and it boots fine. I have verified the DIMM works in either of the free slots and it does. The server just won't boot when 4GB of RAM is installed.
I have verified I have the latest BIOS installed.

Any ideas?

Andy

Sounds like the 4th slot of your motherboard may be faulty. Have you tried to see if you can boot to SmartStart with the extra RAM fitted?

No, if a DIMM is installed in the 4th slot it boots fine - it's just when four 1024MB DIMMS are installed simultaneously. As I said it boots OK with three 1024MB DIMMS (in any slots), plus it works with smaller DIMM's installed in all slots (2GB using 4*512MB).

Andy

Well officially the DL320 G1 does not support the 1Gb DIMM but since you have them in the server and working, that means that they obviously work in that server.

The link below indicates the supported memory (look on Page 5-3 of the PDF), but I would suggest ensuring you are at the latest firmware etc....

This link is to the download site for the DL320 G1:

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

That is probably more likely....

The server is patched up with the latest everything. With 4GB installed it powers on but doesn't even get to the POST.

Thanks

Andy

I am baffled because the DL320 G1 had a PIII 1.26GB processor and only supported 512MB DIMMS whilst the DL320 G2 had a P4 3.06 and supported 1GB DIMMS. Neither of these matches your DL320!

Can you get the part number and serial number from it please.

Regards: tf1

I am not near the server at the moment but it is a DL320 G1 with a only an 800MHz P3 - it is the 1st incarnation of this server and only supports the Coppermine CPU's (up to 1GHz) and not the faster Tualatin CPU's. I am not sure about the part number but when the reply about it only supporting 512MB DIMM's appeared I downloaded the various manuals off HP's website and it did indeed state that 2GB was the maximum memory configuration using 4*512MB DIMM's. That being said though I definitely have 3*1024MB DIMM's installed and it recognises them from both the POST and Windows 2000 Server.

Andy

In that case you have struck lucky! I would be overjoyed to get 3 x 1GB modules working in a server that purports to only support 2GB in 512MB modules. I think you may be flogging a dead horse trying to get all four to work simultaneously.

Regards: tf1

Not to sound insulting, but why are you even considering adding more RAM to an antique like that? 800MHZ? I would have to agree that you should fell lucky that it even runs with 3 Gig. You'd be better off buying new. I can only imagine the problems you create trying to run that on a network.

I know what I know and that's all I know. What I don't know I'll find out.

An antique like that

I suppose it depends on what you are doing with it. My requirements are purely for testing and the hardware must be from a specific list (DL320 G1, DL320 G3, DL380 G1, DL380 G2 or a DL380 G3). The application (Cisco CallManager 4) requires a minimum of 2GB of RAM, but 4GB is recommended. PC133 Sync DRAM is so cheap it is easy for me to build a server with 4GB of DRAM.

Whether it is an antique or not it is the perfect solution for my requirements. I don't have the cash to waste on a 3rd Generation DL380.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back