Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL140..why no Smartstart

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitfixer

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
IE
I have a new DL140 but cannot install Server 2003, Smartstart does not seem to support the DL140, the 641 RAID controller loads at bootup but cannot see the 2 SCSI Drives, how do I configure RAID without Smartstart?
any suggestions would be welcome

FrankF
A+,Network+,MCSA

All new HP servers configure raid via ORCA. When you see the 641 entry at bootup there should also be a note saying hit F8 to configure.

Neill

Thanks for the reply, I think I have found the cause of my problem, when I examined the 2 SCSI drives I discovered that the vendor had shipped them jumpered for the same SCSI ID, this prevented the RAID card from seeing the drives, hitting F8 did not give the option of configuring RAID,

I changed one of the drive ID's and the ORCA came up allowing RAID1 to be configured, OS install has gone OK but one of the drives has now failed, making clicking noises but I am sure when the drive is replaced everything will be fine, many thanks again for your help ntinlin

FrankF
A+,Network+,MCSA

Ah, I forgot the DL140's are non-hot plug.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back