Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DL140 G3 Embedded SATA RAID Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinmitton

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
GB
I have setup a RAID 1 array using 2 x 250GB drives supplied by HP. I have set them up as per the instructions found on the support page for this model.

Windows Server 2003 (again brought with the server) does not see the array when I go to install it.

I realised I need to add the RAID array drivers and as I dont have a floppy drive I tried to use a USB key, this was not recognised! I then went on to do a bit of digging on the net... first I downloaded the HP tool to make a USB Key a Floppy driver my only problem being I dont have an .img file to for fill this! Second I tried to use Nlite to add the driver to the setup CD, this part worked and I checked on the CD to see the driver there. When I came to use the CD either Pressing F6 to specify or letting it boot and setup normally did not work!

Where am I going wrong? HELP!

Did you set the mirror up in the RAID controller BIOS? Did you load the OS (asssuming there is one) with the SmartStart CD?

Burt

I set up the mirror on from the bios then set up the drives from the config util, I'm sorry to say this server (being a cheap unit) did not have a smartstart CD but I brought my server 2003 with the unit (HP branded). This did not have the driver on!

I posted a message on the HP proliant Forum after posting one here and I got this reply from DMS :

there is one more known workaround for that kind of instalation (no need of floppy or nlite):

Install the OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled (No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.

Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

So I'm doing that now! but I forgot to delete the old array before disabling it in the bios and when I re-set up the array it too on the last active settings and then re-set up my old array! of course losing everything I had done! So I'm starting again :)

I'll let you all know if this works.

SmartStart is a free download.
It will load all the drivers HP needs...

Burt

Dont suppose you have a link for SmartStart? I have had a quick search but have not stumbled across it! and its turning in to a typical 'nothing going right' sort of day :)

I have also tried the soloution advised from the HP forum and its faild, I get a blue screen just after the Server 2003 tries to start...

Here we go again!

Burt,

Thanks for that... sadly my DL140 is not support by Smartstart! Back to the drawing board!

Colin

You're kidding me! It should be! I'll have to look into that one tomorrow for sure!

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back