Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divix Movie Files - URGENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redman71

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
Hi All

I've just discovered some "hacker" had put some movie files and other garbage on my server. They are in the Recycler directory. I can only view them within my backup program for some reason. But when I go to Windows Explorer to view them, they aren't there. I've already gone to view - options, and I've got view all files selected. Somehow these files are still hidden. Does anyone know how to get to these so I can delete them? Thanks for any help!

can you see them from a command prompt? if so, they may have done an alt255 trick. this makes the first character blank and i belive it makes them invisible to older windows OS'es. while holding alt type 255 then the filename to delete it or whatever if this is the case. ex. del (alt255)movie.avi

no i can't see them in dos either.

some backup software will delete files after the file is backed up, if the option is set. ARCServe 6.5 will do this.
Be careful not to use this option when doing a full backup.
write a job just to backup those files and this should remove them.

Good luck

Aye, they may well have already been deleted if you cannot see them on the server, but they are logged on your backup program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back