Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dividing our organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuejimmy

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
US
My company has an exchange 2000 single server, single organzation setup. We have sold one division and will be dividing the company. They will be residing in the same building, but I need to completely separate our IT resources. This will include setting up a new domain, file server, exchange server, etc.
I'm trying to establish a plan that will facilitate the transition of that divisions' exchange data to the new server. It will eventually be completely separate, with no access to the original server. In the meantime, I do have the option of setting up the new domain and creating a temporary trust, etc, if thats the best route to take.
Does anyone have any hints on which direction I should go to make the move as seamless as possible? Any benefits to upgrading to 2003 first to make this easier?

Thanks for your suggestions

How many users are you talking about having to split off?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

What lander215 mentions is quite valid.

I've had a similar situation for a client where there were only a dozen odd users.

We ended up just having a new domain and email addresses for all the users that were moving with SBS 2000 with a dedicated ADSL connection for them. In the old domain we setup mail redirection for the dozen users to the new domain email address. This was left till they updated all clients etc with their new email addresses.

If there are a lot of users, the above may not be the easiest method.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Hi!
I would say that the key factor here would be the decision whether to have two separate domains in one forest or two domains in two forests.

In the first scenario you can move the users and the mailboxes to the the new domain.

In the second scenario first you'll have to create the users in the new domain. If there are many users you'll have to use a script. Here is a link to a lot of sample scripts:
Than you can use the Exchange Migration wizard or Export the existing Mailboxes to a PST file and import them into the mailboxes in the new domain. Of course you must have an Exchange structure already in place in the new domain.

Good Luck!

forum.gif
NetoMeter

Thanks for all your replies
We're a small organization, and less than 2 dozen users will be stripped out of our system.
I'll be setting up a completely separate domain/forest. They are considering not using Exchange and just using a hosted POP service, so in that case I'll just export their mailboxes to .pst files.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back