Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Divide Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSO456

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
US
Hi,

I have two columns in a Access table:

Amount1 Amount2
100 200
I would like to divide amount1 (100) by amount2(200), (300), (400) etc. How can I do that?
simply, I would like to divide values in amount1 by every value in amount2

Thank you
Jill

Somewhat hazy on the real deal (details). I would be hard pressed to do this only in SQL land even in the simplistic instance (one and ONLY one in [Ammount1]. Using a procedure, however, makes it simplistic.

A Crude approximation of the function would be:
Code:
Public Function basDiv(Divd As Variant, Divr As Variant) As Long

Static MyDivr As Long

If (Divr = 0 And MyDivr <> 0) Then
        GoTo Calc
    End If

If (IsMissing(Divr) And MyDivr = 0) Then
        MyDivr = 1
        GoTo Calc
     Else
        MyDivr = Divr
    End If

If (Divr = 0) Then
        MyDivr = 1
    End If

If (IsNull(Divr)) Then
        MyDivr = 1
    End If

If (IsNull(MyDivr)) Then
        MyDivr = 1
    End If

Calc:

basDiv = Divd / MyDivr

End Function

The Query:
SELECT tblDivAndCon.Ammount1, tblDivAndCon.Ammount2, basDiv([Ammount2],[Ammount1]) AS MyQuotient
FROM tblDivAndCon;

The Results (of the Query):
[/code]
Ammount1 Ammount2 MyQuotient
100 200 2
0 300 3
0 400 4
0 500 5
[/code]

Of course, this is (as noted) just an example/approximation. Your data may (is?) perhaps more elaborate (mixed values, representing real world (currency?) so the data types will not fit into this specific bit. Other erors / exceptions may also need to be acounted for in the actual data.

Finally, the sample data set -enev in the simplistic mode- suggests a poorly designed / maintained data set, reminicient of what might be more commonly found in spreadsheet than any professional database. A better option might (would) be to correct the data set to explicitly include the divisor ([Ammount1]) with each record. You need to realize that recordsets are not secessarily ordered in the 'expected' manner (order of entry) and (this ordering) may be changed without regard your specific use.

MichaelRed
mlred@verizon.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back