Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Div drops in IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

JillC

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
AU
I used a template for a website which had a fixed left div which holds the nav bar. The right div scrolls up and down. Everything was fine until I implemented Flyspeck which is an fckeditor setup with everything done for me. I noticed that it was unable to display the editor properly so any changes made to the page could not be published. After a lot of fiddling around I changed the left nav to position:relative instead of absolute. This then allowed the editor to do its job, although the right div had dropped down the screen to below the last line of text on the left.

I figured the end-user would cope with this. Then I discovered that this is how the site is displayed in IE6. I have tried adding
<!--[if IE 6]>
#sidebar {position:absolute;}
<![endif]-->

But it doesn't seem to have made a difference. What am I missing?

Hi

A pale idea : maybe that so called editor changed the [tt]doctype[/tt]. The Explorer workaround for [tt]position: fixed[/tt] needs a certain amount of rendering bugs to be activated by specifying a certain [tt]doctype[/tt]. The hack I used needed this :
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">[/URL]

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back