Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributor Password in Support Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

telepath9465

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2005
US
Hi, I work for Southwest Datacom, a Nortel distributor, Advantage Partner for Nortel. I am an Call Pilot 4.0 NCSS and NCDS, also CS1000 4.0 NCSS and NCDS. I've taken all the tests that allow me that priviledge, no one ever told me the distributor password for support tools used for resetting the admin mailbox (000000) password during my testing and training. I was wondering if any of you might be able to share that with me. I do have the RAS number, login and password necessary for gaining access to the system I need to reset, I wouldn't be able to access the system at all without the Server 2003 login. I would appreciate any help you guys could offer.

John
Southwest Datacom

telepath9465...the password you are asking for are different
depending what release you have.there is a reason you do
have have these password they are for tech support personal
in the wrong hands thing can go wrong.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

The distributor pwd is only given out by Nortel Tech Support after you have completed the CP Advance Tech Support class given by Nortel at Nortel Canadian or Texas campus

The only other way to reset the password is to reimage the server, and restore the system data with a good backup.

I know the support password changed from Rel 3.0 to 4.0, because the same support password worked from 1.0 to 3.0.

But sometimes it's quicker to reimage the server and restore the backup.

John

Quicker than logging into the 'Support Tools' logging in and typing resetadminpswd, I don't think so.

No, quicker if you don't have the password and you need to get Nortel to do it.

Janaya, appreciate your sarcasm, I support Wells Fargo Bank on a nationwide basis, if that's not a "tech support" position, I don't know what is

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes. You might very well be who you say, but the posting is public and all eyes can read it (including GOOGLE's).

Therefore, no passwords get posted.

I'm sorry Magna, I just think that Janaya could have replied a lot of different ways. The way he chose was mean-sprirted and unprofessional.

Well the dig was aimed more at Nortel support than at you. The speed of service has degraded somewhat in the recent months.

Also, it's kind of meant to drive home the point that asking (or worse giving) a high level pw on the forums can put powerful tools into the wrong hands. Those in your level of position (as described by your post) should totally understand the position.

Thanks Magna, I do understand the need for security, in addition to being certified in Nortel, I'm an MCSE, so security is formost on my mind. However I don't understand, after the pain of becoming an "Advantage Partner" with Nortel, that we still have to cry to Nortel for something as simple as resetting the admin password relative to supporting thousands of Wells Fargo Bank branches. It's almost ridiculous... :)

Thanks
John

Take the advanced course and you won't have to cry to Nortel anymore.

You are right, it is ridiculous, but like someone's tag line says:

It's not getting any smarter out there, you need to make the stupidity work for you. (or words to that effect).

Yup Working in the telecoms world for 13 years that's what we end up having to do.... :)

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back