Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribution Lists... Very strange problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Su513

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
GB
I have an Exchange 5.5 server. I tried yesterday to create 3 distribution lists. One worked, but when I created the others, the e mail addresses were not automatically generated - no errors or anything. I input the MS, the SMTP and the x400 adresses manually, assuming this would work. However, when I try and send to the distribution list, I get back the error 'Unable to complete the expansion of a distribution list'. The MS KB Q150095 says that I should confirm the X.400 address by going to Configuration, Site addressing, site addressing tab... (I don't have a site addressing, or a site addressing tab in exchange admin!!!), and to then fill in the general property tab in the address list with the info from this screen.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Susie

In Exchange Admin, if you highlight the Configuraton object in the left pane, you don't have a Site Addressing option in the right pane?

Nope. I just checked again to guard against idiocy, and the option is certainly not there!

Yipes. Run the Exchange setup again and do a "re-install". It should restore the Site Addressing object. Don't forget to re-apply yor Service Pack...

You know...before you do that, do you even have a split window when you open Exchange admin? This may sound really silly, but I'm just making sure the "split bar" isn't pushed all the way over to the right, which would make the right pane sort of disappear...
If that's not the case, then try the re-install...

Nope - doesn't sound silly at all... I support users, I understand :eek:)

I can't actually do a re-install of exchange - I get errors left, right and centre - too numerous to list, and mainly to do with incorrect versions of DLL's.

I did however manage to get the distribution lists working... for some reason, if I did one a day, they were fine!!! It's got to the stage now where I've just said that we should format and start again... the move mailbox wizard isn't working, and I can't consolidate the mdb's and edb's either.

I think Microsoft Exchange has beaten me... still, rounds two and three to go!

Yes, but it errors and won't let me install that either. I've really had it with this install of exchange - It won. ;o) Thanks for all the help people but I think I'm gonna install sendmail and be done with it :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back