Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribution group not visible in GAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMIS

MIS
Sep 16, 2004
US
I've created a Global distribution list on an Exchange 2000 server. We use Outlook as the client.

The problem I am having is that I cannot see the name in the address book. It is in "Active Directory Users and Groups", but not visible in the GAL.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dan

Did you allow enough time or force RUS for your GAL?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Also, make sure it is a mail enabled group. I had this same problem and i found out that i never created an exchange mailbox for the group.

Ooops...I forgot to ask if it was plugged in. mikesid is correct, make sure you'v email enabled it.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

In ADUC, enable advanced features, then double-click the DL. Go to Exchange Advanced and ensure that the list is not hidden from the GAL. I doubt that this is the answer, but worth checking.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people - Mr. Garrison

I had waited overnight to give replication time to occur. It is set to replicate the user list always (I assume that is really every 15 minutes like Exchange 5.5).

I manually replicated it, and it now appears in the GAL. Thank you for all the answers, I appreciate it.

Dan

Does anyone understand why a distribution group (or security group) has to be email enabled, to appear in the GAL? I think it doesn't serve any purpose and you've got to create all those email addresses that you'll never use!

Maybe somebody can shed more light on this matter?

Unlike Exchange 5.5 Exchange 2000 Relies totally on AD and SMTP. Without and SMTP address associated with the object (in this case a distribution group) it has no way to route the email.

Okay, thanks for the explanation... but still, I find it strange to associate an email address with every object. Suppose I have a distribution group for internal purposes... and somebody decides to send en email this this associated email address... it meand that everybody in this group will receive this email. Or am I wrong?

You are correct. If that is the case I beleive you can change the delivery restrictions and only allow certain people to send email to that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back