Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribution for low end processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have a 400MHz PIII laptop with 256Mb memory. I've been running Redhat 9 on it for quite some time. I tried upgrading it to one of the Fedoras, I can't remember which, but it wouldn't even install because it said the machine was below minimum spec so I went back to RH9.

I've tried SUSE but couldn't get that going because of some driver problem.

I can't run the Linux-on-a-CD version as the CD is only attached when needed. Most of the time I don't bring the CD.

Could anyone recommend other distributions that will install on low end processors and pick up USB ports correctly.

Puppy-Linux,
DSL
Xubuntu
Arch-Linux
VectorLinux

Not neccecceraly in that order ;-)

Thanks - I'll give them a try

I run Zenwalk on a machine of the similar specs (600Mhz processor), although Slackware 11 ran fine on it as well.

DSL as geirendre listed would also be a good option as it runs the 2.4 kernel (the last time I checked). The 2.4 kernel may be better for old hardware.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

i just installed Puppy Linux on a Fujitsu Laptop PII 400 with a 4gb hard drive. Had to go thru most of all the drivers that came with it for the lan card before a found one that worked. So for that's the only problem I have had.
I had put Xubuntu on it but I only had less that a gig of hard drive space after install and getting a full screen display was a pain but I was able to easier with Puppy Linux.

Arch works really well on my P3 400 with 128Mb ram. Just be careful with which desktop environments you chose. I would suggest XFCE4 (personal favorite) or Fluxbox as both are easy to setup, use very little memory and have detailed HowTo sections in the ArchWiki.

Have Xubuntu 7.04 on an HP omnibook P3 450MHz 192Mb RAM
and it's quite fast. Boots up in less than 3 minutes,
and feels quick and resposive.
Available RAM is the most important part in getting a
system that runs OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back