Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudakova

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
Hello everyone,

SMS is a new product for me. My question is: Should all users to whom I want to distribute the software, have identical hardware and software on their computers?

Thanks in advance.

Sveta

Yes, most definitely. I would strongly recommended to strictly careful on who is the destination machines. To me best practice would be Package the SW from a good clean system with close to identical Hardware and then distribute that package to the same catagory machines only. This is just for best practice.

All SMS devices to which you wish to advertise a sofware package should have hardware and software that is compatible with the package you are advertising.

This means that when you are developing the package you'll need to concern yourself with the assumed initial state of the device and the desired post-package state. A product such as SMS Installer (and some reference material) helps you in doing this. Keep in mind whether your package needs a particular version of (for example) MDAC, MS Office, Internet Explorer, etc. Test test test when complete.

While a package may work for W95, NT4 and XP, there may be requirements in how it is advertised to the devices. For example, W95 devices may require a user to be logged in (if non-SMS network access is required these devices cannot use the software installation account) while NT devices can have rights elevated. The package would need two separate advertisements and collections (one for W9x; one for NT4, W2K and XP).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back