Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributing Programs. Mdac_typ 2.6 and Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennedymr2

Programmer
May 23, 2001
AU
I am distributing a program together with mdac_typ.exe (2.6)
On some machines i also seem to need to install Jet40SP6_9xNT.exe

I understand Mdac_typ.exe (2.5), has the Jet included.
Am i right in using the 2.6 in my deployment.???
I have tried changing my deployment back to 2.5 , but i get allsort of errors if 2.6 is allready installed.

Is there a way using the VB Package and deployment to get the jet to auto install, rather than get the user to have to manually install it as well as the normal setup.

Or is the some other simple solution ???
Appreciate any help.

The VB P&D wizard should take care of it automatically. It will select and install what ever version of MDAC your app is using. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

The MDAC version that you want as a minimum still needs to be placed in the Redist folder of the PDWizard folder, or seleted as an additional file to distribute.
Otherwise, there is no guarentee that you will have the correct one.

If the destination PC has a higher version, then MDAC will not copy over the identical files.

You might want to open the Setup1 Vbp and see how the Setup installs the MDAC...

If the PC where the package was made has the correct Jet SP, and this is being referenced in the Vbp, then the correct one will be shipped automatically with the program.
But watch out, you may have several DAO and or Jet or Jet OLE DB provider, identical versions on your machine however with different build or revisions numbers. Check the Setup.lst for the Jet, Dao, VBA Jet, expsrv, etc dlls and do a search on your machine for all versions. And see if the exact one that you think you are referencing is actually being referenced. You may have different service packs in different folders (like \System32, Common Files\Ado, etc.) [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back