Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

distributing my VB to others

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1car

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
I've installed a extra control into my program and now I complile the program to an .exe file. It runs fine on the machine that I wrote the program on, but it fails to run when I pass the program on to others i.e. program1.exe

I think the control needs a .dll to go with it (from the extra control), but I can't seem to find a wizard to distribute the program with. BTW I only know how to look at the available wizards during the startup of VB6. Is there a diffent place to view these guys at or am I totally off base?

For a basic installation you can use the VB Package and Deplaoment Wizard (PDW). However this is an old program and may give you some grief with its bugs. At the very least the PDW will give you a list of the files required by your app.

You can also use Microsoft Visual Studioo Installer and INNO setup. Both are free downloads. Search this forum for more information.

zemp

f1,

Could be you can't find the Package and Deployment wizard.

It is run from the VB6 IDE under the Add-ins menu. If its not listed there select the Add-in Manager option (from the same menu) and Add it in.

It is'nt great but may do it for you..

regards Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back