Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

distributed data backup strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2004
US
Hi everyone, please share your input into this. If I have data across a couple of Windows 2003 servers and a NAS or two, and each has 50+ GB of data each, how would you go about backing up the data under such scenario. Keep in mind the budget of the solution needs to in a small business environment and all data are located in one local subnet.

I guess the general idea is the somehow replicate those distributed data onto one machine or NAS and then perform your full backup from there? If yes, what product or s/w and / or h/w combination do you recommend?

First you would be better putting all data in one location and then sharing to the users. As for backing up right now use Symantec Backup Exec it might be a little costly but it will give you the options you need. Also purchase a 2 NAS Drives and backup to those nightly one drive a night, this way you rotate them out by taking one home nightly.

I appreciate your comment, but I am looking for suggestions to the specific scenarios I've described. Just take it that the data are spread out over 2 of servers and couple of NAS for some specific business reasons. Under my scenario, if I setup Symantec Backup to pull the data from each of the 4 data sources during a full backup, it just takes long to grab all of that data over the LAN. I was looking for some kind of strategy using some s/w and h/w to replicate the data from the 4 data sources onto one source where then the backup can take place.

I would recommend running a backup system like commvault.

You can then setup the backups to do diffrential and incremental backups. This really helped me backup remote sites and I recon it would be perfect for your situation.

Only issue maybe Licensing costs....

Grant Bradford

IT Infrastructure Analyst

HMLLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back