Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributed Authetication in Forests/ Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

navigat0

MIS
Jun 7, 2004
US
I have 2 domains (1 a child) in 1 forest. The domains are separated geographically and connected by a WAN link that performs sub-par. Users from the first domain when visiting the foreign office that maintains the second domain are complaining of the time it takes to authenticate. The thought had crossed my mind to place a DC from the first domain in the remote office allowing local authentication and replication. Both domains' DCs have global catalogs which I was hopipng would improve the situation initially.

Has anyone tried this? Can you offer any pros and cons about your experiences? Any input is welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, you can have a DC for your parent domain in the remote office, and set up your sites & services to include their subnet in the scope of your parent domain.

if you have a "sub-par" WAN link, you can set up replication to occur out of hours to not kill your bandwidth during daytme hours...

I'd go for it if it is really a problem... your parent-domain users need to authenticate against a DC from their domain...

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back