Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribute Batch install file to Remote Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

chongtl

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
MY
I need to distribute a software for my remote branch office and they have file server. I actually want to distribute a batch file, which run the software installation from the local server. I only have one SMS server at HQ.
I manage to distribute the batch file but when it run "\\<localServer>\install.bat" The system prompt connect as.

Both client & Server machine are running W2K.
My SMS Server is version 2.0

I have no problem if I distribute the exe program, it can install but it will take time for my remote branches because installation via WAN to distribution point (SMS Server at HQ).

What is the best way of distributing a batch file, that make the remote user run the setup program, which source installation program is sitting in their local server?

Thanks in advance.

Is it just not seeing/running the batch file or it running the batch but not working.

There could be a couple different issues if the server is an NT box it will only map to a share then in the batch you will need to cd into the right directory, so you have to have it run a bat pointing to your other bat. such as this:

net use /persistent:no x: \\server\software
x:
cd \NT\nt4sp6a\i386\update
hotfix.bat

We are using W2K servers & Clients.
What I have distribute is actually a bat or cmd file. In the file I have a command to run a program from the remote branch server, as below:
\\servername\program\setup.exe
I'm using UNC path.
Everytime user run the advertised program, they will get a prompt to enter user ID & Password. I want to eliminate the prompt. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Take a look at AutoIt, it is a scripting tool that you could use to input the credentials, so the user just runs the batch file and it does the rest. It encrypts to an exe format, so the passwords are safe.

Give the users rights to that share and run it as the user or if sms 2.0 or legacy 2003 clients use the software installation account to install with admin rights and give that account rights to the share.....OR :) with sms 2003 use the Network Access Account and give that rights to that share...it will try the machine account 1st then try to use the Network Access Account which should work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back