Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distorted JPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoaln

Technical User
Feb 15, 2002
US
One of my office computers has been having trouble showing images for quite some time now. A BMP, GIF, and most other image types open with no trouble and look fine. JPEGs, however, always look like electronic vomit. It makes any web page look horrendous. Also, if I save a JPG on that computer and open it on another, it still looks garbled.

I have swapped video cards, updated drivers, and done anything else I could possibly think of to remedy this situation. It seems to be some type of problem with the way JPEGs are dealt with on that computer. Any suggestions as to how to fix this annoying problem? Thank you in advance.

Maybe the jpegs you're using/looking at are already of low quality...
Use a program to open a good quality bitmap and then save it as a jpeg to see if the quality is still crap.

The pictures are just fine on other computers. It is not like they are low quality images. It is like the entire picture is covered with electronic snow when viewing or saving them on that computer. My display is set at 800x600 with 16 bit color, and this is in Windows 98 SE.

I have discovered another related problem. In Windows Explorer or My Computer when viewing a list of JPGs, GIFs, BMPs, or any other image, I cannot open them. They are associated with Paint with the command "Open" as they should be, but there is no option to open them. The default action is to scan them with Norton, which is what it does when I double-click. There is no "Open" nor "Open With..." option when right clicking them. It seems the only way to look at them is via the preview window or to open MSIE and navigate to them.

I am currently reinstalling Windows 98 SE in that computer without uninstalling it. This sometimes helps correct things, and hopefully that will be the case this time. If not, any other ideas?

To get the "Open With" option, you have to highlight the Icon with one click, then hold down the shift key and right click the icon. To re-asscociate all files of this type tic the "Always use this program to open this type of file". "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back