Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distance between IP/analog Gateway and analog Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodie77

Technical User
Jun 14, 2008
DE
Hello Team,
the replacement of legacy PBXs usually includes analog/IP-Gateways (such as Cisco ATAs oder VG224s)
which connect to existing analog end devices using the existing telephony cabling infrastructure.

Is there any rule (e.g end-2-end cable length) if the
existing cabling for analog devices is still supported
for the new gateways ?

Thx for comments and answers in advance.
W.

150-200 ms. is the best I can tell you. Stay within those limits and you should be good.

woodie77:

I don't know the length but I can tell you the following:

After the cutover from traditional PBX to VoIP, one utility company works and the other does not work. The voltage across the T/R on the not working analog line is -35V. The modem just never pickup the phone when called.

Instead of spending time troubleshooting the issue, I am getting a POT line for the modem.

KC

Re-read your post. Sorry I missed the point completely. This will depend on the quality of the telephone infrustructure wiring that is there. I've seen from very pristine to very crappy. Usually we try to keep it within the ethernet specs of about 300-350 ft.

pndscm is right ... those are ethernet based devices - 100m from the switch is usual max for ethernet segment

300-350 for the ata unit but the analog port can be pushed out further.... Normal analog lines can work out to about 2500 ft off a system.... As mentioned this depends on the quality of cable...

Maybe we should lab this out and get back to you!!!

[americanflag] SPC NVARNG
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back