Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disposal of obsolete but working PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicJohn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I now have 3 PCs sitting in my garage I no longer use.

They all work, have network cards and there's 2 Win2K and 1 WinME. I think there's RM PIII, a Time Celeron and Dell 1.7GHz P4.

I've tried to give them away, but no one wants them as they're too slow, have small HHDs and CRT monitors varying from 14" to a very heavy 172/18".

Is the only option a visit to the local recycle centre?

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

might have a branch in your area. I was advised of this organization by a member in the UK. Many electronics stores in the States take PC's to recycle but they charge a fee. I'm sure some organization would love to have the working PCs in your area, I'm just not sure how to hook up to them.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yes, there is local Freecycle service on Yahoo.

Despite joining twice, I still can't access it. But I do get circulars from them telling me they cranked up the security because of sabotage and excess spamming.

Looks like it's a car boot sale, and then a visit to the waste recycling on the way home with what's left. [sad]

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Nice one, wahnula! That looks really promising! Cheers!

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

If you were closer John I would have had them for the kids I teach on my course.
But Nottingham is a bit far from Liverpool?
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Don't forget to Boot-n-Nuke the hard drives if they have any personal or business data, docs, etc., before disposal.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

paparazi said:
But Nottingham is a bit far from Liverpool?
Not necessarily. I get around the NW a lot, and sometimes South Yorks/Sheffield, the Peak District and Leicester. I'm not sure of my next visit.

Martin, if you're still interested, I can get more detailed specs for you. It would be easier for me if all the HDDs were nuked. Two of them have OEM licence numbers on the side but I'm not sure if I can find the matching CDs. :-(

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Also, depending on the area, just leave them on the back seat of your car, I'm sure some kind soul will help dispose of them for you :)

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Yes, another good reason to avoid Gunchester, the capital of crime.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Perhaps donating to local schools or church groups as well?

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

SimonDavies said:
Perhaps donating to local schools or church groups as well?
Our local schools are exceptionally well equipped. These links are their extensions into the community - or
The local church people have P4 WinXPs and colour duplexing laser printers - I know because I assist with their AdobeApps/CS2.

Sorry.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

SlimJohnD
Well I would be interested.
Yup we are connected to a school but I teach a vocational course to 14-16 year olds, non profit making and they are sitting online tests on 800mhz Celerons running W98 ATM
Now that isn't a problem but these things are decades old and are becoming dificult to keep in service (elastic bands perrishing lol)
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back