Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying XML data in a webpage without JavaScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
Here's my situation:
I have a webpage with job listings. Every time it changes, I have to edit the HTML by hand. Were making frequent changes lately, and I want a relatively simple way to allow my HR manager to update this information whenever she needs to.

I've considered using a CMS (probably Joomla), but I need a quick fix until I can get around to implementing it.

XML seems like the way to go in this case. However, it seems like the most common way to display external data is via JavaScript. I'd like to avoid JavaScript because it seems like most people disable it for safer (or at least less annoying) surfing. Would frames be my only option to guarantee cross-browser functionality? Are there any other methods that I should consider?

Just so you know, I'm not a web designer. I know some HTML and some VBScript, and that's about it.

Where is the job data stored? Is it really hard coded into an HTML page?

It isn't in a database???

At the moment, our site is very simple. All of the pages are just static HTML. The listings aren't very sophisticated either. It's basically just various city names with the openings underneath them. And, yes, they are hard coded.

I'm sure others will have different recommendations but I would proceed like this:

1. If you want to implement an off the shelf CMS, then go that way.

2. I think it would be work but not too much work for you put your job data into a database. I use Access.

3. On your html page, you could use a server side language (I use ASP) and little bit of your VB Script to pull the database information and write it to the page. Once you got it set up, the page code wouldn't change as the database grew and shrank. (It might be largely cut and paste code to set up)

4. Your HR manager would then change the database instead of the html. Depending on where the database is resident, the manager would either work on the live copy or upload a new version after making changes.

You could create an application in Access with screens that would allow the HR manager to add records, edit records, delete records, etc. Down thr road, you could even an application allowing for them to login to the site and manage it through a browser sceen.

Just thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back